Saturday, November 29, 2008

New Guidelines for Skilled Workers

So, after nearly a year, the Harper government has given the CIC instructions on how to process Skilled Worker applications received on or after February 27, 2008. The list of jobs is a lot shorter than it was when Alan and I applied. We would not have made it. So, it looks like we got here within about a three-year window when the point threshold was lowered to 67 from 75 and before the acceptable work experience list was decimated. We lucked out, I guess. I feel bad for those trying to follow us.

And the usual mea culpa, etc: I'm really behind in the blogging world, I need to catch up with y'all, and I need to write something about the past few months -- and I'm planning on doing so once this term is over, which will be soon. Basically, we're doing just fine and Vancouver has been good for us. Life marches on and the truth is I'm just not the most energetic person in the world. I put a lot into my work and once I get home, I don't have much left. Still trying to figure out how to balance it all and have my life reflect my values in terms of how I spend my time and resources.

9 Comments:

Blogger Toma said...

Good to hear from you guys!

10:17 AM, November 29, 2008  
Blogger cls said...

Glad to hear Vancouver has been good to you.
Take care.

11:44 AM, November 29, 2008  
Blogger MSEH said...

Soooo great to hear from you guys and glad to hear things are going well. I look forward to an update!

12:49 PM, November 29, 2008  
Blogger Shaun said...

Thanks for posting this info. There are now only 38 occupations which make one eligible for immigration to Canada. Vicky and I still would have made it: she's a nurse and I'm a college professor. But still, it cuts out vast numbers of people who might have an interest in applying. We also feel very fortunate that we got in within that 3 year window.

10:30 AM, November 30, 2008  
Blogger laura k said...

Nice to see you blogging!

Re 38 occupations, you can still emigrate with any occupation if you have arranged employment.

10:28 AM, December 06, 2008  
Blogger Ann said...

Happy New Year!

5:29 AM, January 04, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello!

I stumbled upon your blog and thought that you may be interested in LoonLounge.com.
LoonLounge is a Canadian Immigration and Settlement online community. I’m Canadian, but I’m really enjoying being a member. I’m sure you & your readers will at the very least find it interesting.
www.loonlounge.com
Just thought I’d pass it along!

11:50 AM, January 06, 2009  
Blogger M Taher said...

Greetings.
We have a survey on job search in Canada, as part of a book to be completed on 'what works and what doesn't work'--Details will appear at http://deartotoronto.blogspot.com. We have two set of questions in this survey.
First is for the new immigrants, to share their own experience. The link is here: http://www.survey.com/surveys/pollxt_1353.html.
Second set of questions is meant for agencies, experts and professionals who are responsible to guide the new Canadians. This link is here: http://www.survey.com/surveys/pollxt_1352.html
Feel free to post a link from your blog or to forward it to all the concerned in your mailing list.
Any help will be highly appreciated.

8:13 PM, January 11, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi...I am one part of an American/Croatian same-sex couple (the American one) who is one of the couples you speak of that just missed this deadline. We had all of our paperwork in, and a notice of receipt from Canada on our application. Then they rescinded the receipt, we're still waiting to get our application fee back too, for almost a year now!

Anyway we have since had to leave the US due to my partner's now expired visa. I am just starting a blog to document the experience of it all. Best of luck and check out http://www.refugay.com/blog/

11:07 AM, September 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home